Soylent Green is a 1973 American science fiction film directed by Richard Fleischer and starring Charlton Heston and, in his final film, Edward G. Robinson. The film overlays the police procedural and science fiction genres as it depicts the investigation into the murder of a wealthy businessman in a dystopian future suffering from pollution, overpopulation, depleted resources, poverty, dying oceans, and a hot climate due to the greenhouse effect. Much of the population survives on processed food rations, including "soylent green".

The film, which is loosely based upon the 1966 science fiction novel Make Room! Make Room!, by Harry Harrison, won the Nebula Award for Best Dramatic Presentation and the Saturn Award for Best Science Fiction Film in 1973.

Tags: Movie - Soylent Green

Views: 198

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In the early 70's my high School herded the whole student body  into the Auditorium and showed us this film,how strange is that ? Thanks for posting this Bridget !

Remember this movie from my High School days, and pondered this is going to be the Future? I remembered it scared the hell out of me.

Hey John,just wondered if they showed this in your school or if you watched it somewhere else ?

That could have been part of the "indoctrinate the young" plan? Talk about waste not want not! Scary

Your probably right Deelean

Jerry, No didn't see it in school went to the movies and saw it.

I think the poppies blowing in the wind was a nice touch !!

For sure a powerful scene. Also its funny Edward G. Robinson takes his own life in the movie. Its also his last performance on the sliver screen.

Yes,I always loved his work he was a great actor,nobody could play a Gangsta like him.

The remark in the begining about it being Soylent green day,strange to see sayings from 30 odd years ago and still in use today.

The green house effect!!!  That terminology in use in 1974?

Also the phone he used on the street to his police department, did not  have a wire, so was it a snapshot of a portable for the future, It also shows how the Rich live far above the poor but somethings never change, Sex, greed and power and the main theme to me was, to many people, not enough of anything, food, water, energy... Sounds very familar, and this was at a time when population was far less than now.

What a grim picture this film painted and so close to what we are now facing,

Think I would also line up for the tranquil end on a decent bed if comes to this, but end up as a snack put me right off.

One of my older favourites.   "Its made of people!!

Edward G.R.'s death scene is  movie history IMO.

How about that eerie sucking sound the machines are making !!!!!

RSS

Donations for YouRTubeNews ...

Please help us reach our goal. .. Donations for Jan/Feb - Rec'd as of Dec. 21 - $ 135.00 Thankyou :)

Christmas Countdown ..

Non-Member Website Contact Info.

Contact Email for Non- Members -
YouRTubeNews2009@gmail.com  

Truth will set us free

Breaking News:

To control which emails you receive on YouRTubeNews, CLICK HERE

free counters

No Spam Allowed..

Music

Loading…

Moon

CURRENT MOON

We're a friendly group who enjoy keeping up with the news and searching for truth.

Photos

Loading…
  • Add Photos

© 2014   Created by UnSlaveMe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service